Saturday, May 3, 2008

Perfect Dog

Thirteen years ago, I visited the Humane Society, looking for a puppy.  I was fortunate to be there when there were puppies available.  I walked into a room full of cages and found a little brown ball in the back corner of his cage. 

He had a litter mate in with him who was up in front showing off.  Always one to fall for the underdog, I reached in and picked up Jake.  That was the name the HS had given to him.  The only time I set him down was to sign the paperwork, and then I had put him in my purse.

When I brought Jake to the vet for his first visit, he weighed 1.5#.  Today he's comfortably in the 70# range.  Jake has been through and seen a lot in his 13 years.  He has quite a few fans who take joy in seeing him.

I didn't name him perfect dog, that was my father.  I knew that I wanted a big dog, but I also knew that I had to have a well trained big dog, so as not to scare children and knock down the elderly.  Jake had a private tutor, Mark Frederick.  He's responsible for turning Jake into the joy that he is. 

The day is coming soon when I will have to say goodbye, but I know that it won't be forever.  Disney said so, and I know it's true.  Jake will be pain free one day, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge for me.

Jakey, I know one day soon you will let me know that you're ready to cross over, I will respect your wish.  You're very loved my friend!

IMG_0016

1 comment:

Idi said...

I think you are trying to make me cry Miss Cindi : ) I couln't have said it better. Jake is the perfect dog. Give my boyfriend lots of kisses for me.

Miss Idi