Friday, January 9, 2009

It's Never Too Late...

to speak in public

At fist it's daunting.
But take it in steps.
First, know your subject.
(This is the essential element.)
Then, order your thoughts.
Practice -
first alone, then before friends.
If you're interested in what you have to say,
chances are so will your audience.

"A bold heart is half the battle"
Proverb


In high school, more years ago than I want to admit, Speech was a required class. Mrs. Wampler taught this dreaded class. In speech class you had to pick a subject, write the speech and then horrors of horrors - stand in front of the class and present your speech. You could use index cards to write speaking points, but not your whole text. She wanted us to know what we were going to say and actually orate - not read.

It was awful and Mrs. Wampler was mean. She actually graded us on our speeches. I realize that I should have expected a grade but wasn't standing in front of my peers enough? I knew what to do, I would have mom save me. Mom would march right into my high school and get me out of this class. Mom's have more pull than the Board of Education that made this class a requirement, doesn't she?

I don't remember the details and how they transpired, nor do I remember my mother telling me that she wasn't able to extract me from a graduation requirement. What I do remember is taking Speech 2 in my sophomore year. Speech 2 is the advanced speech class, not the original speech class the second time. Mrs. Wampler was once again my teacher and we had a lot of fun in that class.

What I took away from those experiences was the ability to speak in front of people. Small groups or large, it didn't really matter. Mrs. Wampler taught us to be comfortable speaking prepared, or to create an ad hoc speech based on a subject pulled from a hat.

I had a lot of teachers thoughout my education, but very few stand out like Mrs. Wampler. Ironically I think there must have been a lot of mothers complaining like my mom. I know this because I helped my daughter write her first speech. She was in kindergarten.

No comments: