Monday, April 21, 2008

Gratitude

In my off time, I teach religious education to seventh grade students at my local church.  Every month or so, the children were asked to write a prayer on a specific subject.  Yesterday we received the book of prayers to pass to the students.

I read through the prayers first and found a couple topics of discussion.  One such topic was to thank God for their parents.  So I opened the floor to the topic.  I asked the children what they could do to show their parents that they were grateful for them.

I heard NOTHING.  One boy said he could thank them.  I then asked what he would thank them for.  Again, nothing.  Finally fed up with their inability to say...Make my bed without asking...I passed out paper and pencils and had the kids write their parents a letter expressing their gratitude.

I did not read them, instead I passed out envelopes to mail the letters.  I just don't understand why it's so hard to express gratitude to parents.  I must admit though that I didn't write a note for my parents, but I still reserve the right to do so.

One thing that I do though is kiss my father good bye every time I leave him.  The second common thread in the children's prayers was world peace.  I asked my uncle what his theory of world peace was.  His answer, as always was priceless...

Anyone who is part of a family unit or works for a living knows there will never be world peace.

With gratitude I tell him, "I couldn't have said it better."

No comments: