Friday, September 5, 2008

A note to parents

My daughter called me the other day in tears.  Turns out she stepped on a nail while walking home from school.  The nail went through her shoe and into her foot.  Thus starting the puncture wound fire drill.

I couldn't leave the meeting I was in to run to her rescue, and I needed to try and calm her down enough to get off the phone.  I told her to soak her foot and I will have the rescue crew to her shortly.  I was able to get help to her within 10 minutes.  That's just when the fun started. 

I'm in an important discovery meeting trying to communicate with text messaging.  Not a lot of drama, just a lot of texting.  Finally I am able to get home.  I called my podiatrist on the way and left a message.  Then I called Sarah's doctor, who returned my call within 5 minutes.  Not a problem she said, no need for urgent care.  Call the office in the morning and we'll check to see if she needs a tetanus shot.

The Dr. Blaine called.  Twenty questions with Doctor Jim, ending with...I'll meet you at the office around 8:30.  When we got there, he made three x-rays to see if anything was left in her foot.  Then he numbed it, cleaned it out, took a culture and wrapped it.  Three prescriptions, a get out of school free slip and a "I'll see you on Saturday" comment. 

Although this is a rather bland blog entry there's a big message here.   Doctor Blaine is one great doctor, meeting us at the office on his off time...when has that happened?  Any puncture wounds to the foot needs a podiatrist, not a GP.  And finally, if the school dress code states NO FLIP-FLOPS, there's a reason.

No comments: