Wednesday, October 1, 2008

OSU Football

Saturday I took Sean to the OSU football game.  Our seats were in Section 14B.  This will be very important prior to the start of the game.  Sean and I were dropped off at Lane and High Street, just north of the heart of campus.  We merged into the mass of scarlet hiking west on Lane toward the stadium. 

We passed a myriad of tailgaters, their setups ran the gamete of sane and affordable to the shear insanity.  Drop the tailgate and pull out the flat screen HD TV that is connected to the satellite dish.  Tailgating is a professional sport for OSU Football fans!

This was my first football game in literally decades.  More that one person told me to be very careful as to what gate I went in so as not to take an unwanted tour of the stadium.  So I was very cognizant of the fact that I wanted to walk into the stadium somewhere near section 14.  In we walked up the stairs - around and around the ramp, until we saw daylight.  The usher asked if we needed help.  Sean replied, "Nope, I've been here before."  I should have known I was in for some excitement then.

We found our seats and settled in for pre-game.  There were a couple of people behind us but we were rather comfortable still.  I noted an old couple walking up the section stairs.  They were sitting in the row behind us.  They sat right next to the couple that was directly in back of us.

This started the conversation.  The young couple thought that their friends were suppose to be sitting next to them, not old couple.  The speculation mumbling finally sparked old lady to say that they have had these same seats for thirty years, young couple #2 were not going to be sitting there.

I was trying not to listen, but the banter was too good to ignore.  Finally old couple convinced young couple that they were in the wrong section and needed to move.  Young couple gets up and moves stating that they were in section 14 and it was the next section to the left.  Section 14...that means Sean and I were in the wrong seat too.  So we got up to move, Sean - the eight year old says, "We're in the right seats mom."

At that point old lady says, "Oops - this isn't section 16."  So they got up and moved.  Young couple comes back and are having a great giggle over the 30 years in the wrong section.  Sean and I settle in when we hear the AC/DC gong.  If you've never seen the players come onto the field for practice, you're missing a great show. 

After the players warm up, the band comes out.  I so wish the drivers in Ohio would watch the precision of the band.  Especially when they have to cross paths.  Every member of the band lets someone who needs to cross through, this keeps traffic moving and no one gets hit.  Traffic though is another rant all together.

The band was spectacular, the team was great and Sean had a wonderful time, what more could I ask for ...short of the USC tickets next year?

No comments: