Wednesday, November 12, 2008

800-Give Life

I try to expose my children as much as possible to processes that children and some adults may find unpleasant. From the time each was born, they went to the dentist with me for the semi-annual cleanings. I have no trouble getting them in a dentist chair, and sometimes have a hard time getting them out of the office.

Last night they were both with me when I donated a pint of blood. I really don't understand what the difficulty is for people. Case in point, after September 11, 2001 the Red Cross had more blood on hand than they could use. Now we once again hear about blood shortages. As one who consistently has to have my blood spun to see if I am eligible, image my embarrassment when I sat down yesterday and told the nurse that she should bypass the drop test and just spin me. The nurse smiled and said, we don't do that anymore.

I then asked, since when? Which right away clued her in to the fact that I don't "come there often". Since July she told me. The bigger embarrassment followed - I haven't donated blood since March 2008. I'm not quite sure why giving a pint is so difficult for people. It's very tedious, answering questions and all - but for the most part, the process has been automated.

For those needle phobic, I've only had to stop the digging once. If you drink plenty of fluid (water) before donation, your veins pop right up. Except for one or two, I've never had any issue with the needle pushers. For most adults, the actual donation procedure only takes about 5 minutes.

If you really want to have fun with the process, take a friend and have a pint race. This will require the cooperation from the nurses, but all they have to do is make sure you both are ready to go at the same time, and then pull the clamps in unison. The first one to fill their pint wins.

If you drink enough water before you go, 4.5 minutes is not unreasonable. When you're done, you get a cookie or two, a cute little bottle of water, and the satisfaction of knowing that you very well may save a life. My children will continue to accompany me, and when they're eligible, I'll accompany them.

No comments: