Monday, November 24, 2008

All about Edie...or almost

Edie and I went through middle school and high school together. We've been friends through at least 4 presidents. We use to sit together and try to figure out how OLD we will be in the year 2000. Imagine my surprise when the year came and went and nothing catastrophic happened.

Edie and her mother provided my first exposure to cats. Edie's mom had Mozel. Mozel was a talker, and Edie's mom would always encourage conversation. I of course thought they were nuts. Cat's can't talk and surely they don't hold a two way conversation. Or do they?

Long after Edie had moved across the country, I adopted a cat, and she is the only animal or human that I've been allowed to name. My cat's name was Kitty. Thank goodness I wasn't allowed to name my kids, or they would be he and she. More digression.

Edie and I both started growing up in the same city - St. Louis and ironically we continued growing up in the same city - but this time we knew each other. Having both lived in StL and not knowing each other allowed for instant comradery and lots to talk about. Beer and baseball. Actually there was a bit more, Shopping at Plaza Frontenac.

The only thorn in my side as far as our friendship is concerned is birthdays!! Edie always remembers mine, and by golly I remember hers, which is only a handful of days after mine. But by golly I can't get a birthday card to her on time if my life depended on it. I have thought about saving the receipts so I can at least show her that I purchased the card on time.

Image what a relief I felt when I discovered Martha Cards. Martha is such a wonderful and thoughtful person. She provided greeting cards and a calendar. You tell her what and to who - like magic the Martha Elves get cards out on time. They don't sign them of course so it's blatantly staring you in the face ...She didn't send this herself - she ORDERED it!!

So I contracted with Martha to make sure that Edie got her Birthday card on time for years to come. We all know how that ended - Martha teaching knitting in her spare time and the card shop folded.

Now what was I to do? Well, I could email her a birthday wish - I could purchase a card early (done) and send it to her early (not done). I could graciously accept her birthday wishes and reciprocate them (nope, just thanked her profusely.)

So here I sit, with Edie's birthday card, yet unsigned. Her email riding the waves of my IN Box, as I don't have nerve to delete it prior to responding. So, standing on my soap box, usually reserved for my adopt a retired greyhound sermons....

to say:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY EDIE!!!

Yes, another late one, but at least Thanksgiving isn't here yet!!!

No comments: