Monday, November 3, 2008

Ohio

Many years ago (read as decades) my uncle ran into some very judgmental people in the Cleveland area, which has tainted his opinion of the entire state of Ohio. I've tried and tried to change his mine, to illustrate that in the 21st century, we're not all that bad. Then election year 2008 rolls around and I'm at a loss for words.

A judge not more than three weeks ago ruled that the homeless can register to vote utilizing a park bench or other such landmark as their 'home address'. Now, explain to me Batman, how they are to prove their residency like the rest of us must?

I've let that roll around in my brain until it became a waste of good time to try to find logic in the ruling. Then the "big" news story became the length of lines people are standing in to vote early. Help me dear logic, to explain what these people are thinking. They are waiting in lines upward of five or six hours to avoid waiting in line on election day.

I have now conceded my defense of Ohio. I have a hard enough time not using "I was born blonde" as an excuse when I don't understand. So, if anyone can assist me and explain these two nuggets of information, I welcome the response.

RE: Comment

I have no issue with allowing the homeless to vote in federal elections - this would eliminate the "proof of residency". However, there has to be a better way to regulate the vote once aspect. Perhaps the ink on the finger as they did in Iraq. Something needs to be done at the onset to eliminate the possibility of abuse.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must say while I live on the left coast, with way too much drivel about gay rights! But to let people come from NY vote in Ohio and then go back and vote in NY city! One has to question what has happened to our country? What is sad is the problems we see are not just Ohio anymore.

freebfrost said...

If a homeless U.S. citizen's is denied the right to vote that is impinging on our Constitution, which only limits the right to vote to those 18 or older.

Now, that makes proof of residency a moot point as well as likely unconstitutional in any form. But that's another story.