Friday, August 8, 2008

Adventures in Adult Wisdom

As a profession, I'm charged with the responsibility to catch mistakes before software products are allowed out into the general public.

I actually get paid to find fault with other peoples work. As in everyday life, adults say the darndest things.

One application I was responsible for had documents attached to a line item in a grid. We presented users with a paperclip icon. They click on the paperclip and the document(s) opens. On one particular page, the paperclip did not open the document, so I wrote a defect. "I clicked and it didn't open" was pretty much what my issue said.

I also follow up on my defects to ensure that they are being fixed. Imagine my surprise when the above referenced issue was sent back to me, indicating that it wasn't a defect, with the statement - and I QUOTE, "I (Dave, the developer) was able to open the document, so it appears that sometimes they work and sometimes they don't."

I was speechless and had to seek assistance with my next interaction with Dave, as I didn't think I could say something nice...so I chose not to say anything at all.

The assignment I'm on now has our company, Quick Solutions, picking up an application that apparently was developed by a different consulting company.

So, to get myself up to speed, I've been looking over issues that are on our top ten list. This consulting company wrote a defect concerning error messages. One of the error messages they were attempting to rewrite is, "Non-required field is missing." Now in all my years, I had always understood that if the field was required, it could be empty.

Their solution was to keep this error message reading like this, but appending the name of the field on the end.

If they're worried about non-required fields being populated, shouldn't they make them required fields?

No comments: