Wednesday, August 6, 2008

From PlayStation to Playing Field

As many parents of young boys know, sometimes they like to personify the players in their video games. On more than one occasion, my son has told me about the great plays he made, the teams he beat and lord knows what else.

I'll listen to his stories and gently tell him that it's Madden 08, not real life 2008. My husband on the other hand has a lot less sympathy and tells him without any fluff that he's playing a video game and that real life football isn't as easy as selecting a player and maneuvering a controller.

Perhaps I should have been a little less coddling mother and a bit more reality father. This past Monday Sean started practice with his DFL team the Buffalos. Last year Sean played flag football and had one two-hour practice a week. This year is the first tackle year and I'm spending my free time at the middle school football field.

Last year Sean played center. This year he wants to be the QB. He's having a difficult time adjusting to the fact that he'll probably be a lineman. He wants receiver gloves and I'm leaning toward arm pads.

He's completed only two days of practice and promptly fell asleep both nights. Tonight after school we'll work a bit on his footwork, and push ups.

Sean carrying the ball

Sean carrying the ball

IMG_0037

Pushing his coach around

IMG_0039

Getting the lesson on where to be looking

IMG_0061

IMG_0065

IMG_0071

No comments: